Sunday, March 8, 2009

Le Curling en Rose - Curling, Pink Colored

This is Domino (Donna) on the clock as the beat reporter for the next round of exciting events. Jen G. did an awesome job keeping the blog and livestream updated, and I'm going to try my best to follow in her footsteps. Officially, it's midnight, and I am going to take my job seriously; so I here I am.

Here is the information for tomorrrow's games:

12:00 PM Sheet 4
California v. Pennsylvania
First Practice
Throw Dark Handles
LEAD: Jennifer Lindsay
SECOND: Jennifer Gamboa
VICE: Cindy Wood
SKIP: Marissa Messier

8:00 PM Sheet 6
Wisconsin v. California
Second Practice
Throw Light Handles
LEAD: Donna Umali
SECOND: Jennifer Gamboa
VICE: Cindy Wood
SKIP: Marissa Messier

It's going to be tough with the double header, but we can hack it. Our conditioning that we've been doing for the passed couple of months is going to be our best friend...and the hotel hot tub I might also add.

So the first few days at the Utica Curling Club has been such a whirlwind. I can tell because I've only been able to call the other half (Paul, my fiancé) only a couple times a day to check in. We've met so many people, and I'm sure we've forgotten most of their names. We're adjusting to a new environment (COLD), a different time zone, and new schedules. Despite all that, there's a few things that keep us afloat amongst all the newness. First of all, we found a really great bagel shop that has all kinds of bagels and cream cheese flavors. Secondly, we have 3 GPSes: a Garmin, an iphone, and a verizon phone to help us not get too lost. Thirdly, we have found an adoptive family (Liz and Joe), and we have fans. It's a really great feeling to look up and see smiling faces, waving hands, and pink signs all routing for us to do well. I think that tomorrow is going to be a pink day, even pinker than today. There's so many things to look forward to, especially since we got Minnesota and ironing some kinks out of the way.

Another observation I have is that we've painted the town/curling world pink walking around with our snazzy kilts and cool, newly embroidered jackets. We get assumptions from total strangers in public places like restaurants and Walmart ranging from cheerleading to track to breast cancer awareness. They are definitely curious about us, and what we are doing. Obviously, we are not local. Like good curlers, we are spreading the word about curling, and at the same time, I think we make people stop and think. Even within the curling world, there's been positive attention with the kilts. We've been getting really nice complements on our uniform, and to me, I feel that people are not only noticing our stylish tastes, but also the strong bond we have between us. No pun intended. And that is one of the qualities that makes our team strong.

Okay, it is getting late. I will save some of the commentary for tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Until next time. Goodnight and stay pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment