Saturday, September 4, 2010

Game 2 - Quick Observation

Today, we lost our game against Team Seeger. It was a very bad loss, but basically, we just weren't consistent. It comes with the game, and that is always something we try to strive for. When Marissa asks each of us, including herself, for a shot. We are all expected to come through regardless of ice conditions, how we are feeling today, or any obstacle that might come in our way. Because if we don't, then we miss out on opportunities and could be forced to fall back on other plans. It just make things more complicated to get out of tough situations, which is what happened today. Of course, giving Marissa what she wants all the time is very HARD, but we try our best, and one day, she will ask for something, and we will be able to do it more than 75% of the time. That would be a good game.

Despite our loss today, I noticed that coming back after such a long break didn't phase my "routine," which surprised me. I was shocked at how automatic everything came. Get my stone, clean the bottom, clean the ice, look at Marissa, see and understand the signs, spin my stone (This helps in "filling" the imperfections on the stone itself with ice), breathe, put on "blinders" and focus on the broom that Marissa holds for me to direct my shot, set my toe in the same direction, prepare my grip on the stone and set the curl (in turn or out turn), left foot goes forward and slides back, push off keeping focus on the broom, let go with the proper curl. Now, this is all a LOT of stuff to remember. A long time ago (3 years), I would focus on each step, and it would take a long time. Now, it comes really naturally, and I can concentrate on other things like making sure I set the correct weight on my stone's delivery and making sure I let go the stone at Marissa's broom for the correct line.

So consistency will come eventually. Each time we curl, we make an observation here or an adjustment there. I know that with each tournament our team competes in, our level of skill and experience just gets better and better. We meet different people, styles, systems, and attitudes. We just have to keep the chin up, the fun times rolling, and the granite stones curling. One by one, it'll all fall into place, and hopefully, the Bond Girls could take their place in one of the top spots. What a great day that would be.

Keep it up, girls!

- Domino

No comments:

Post a Comment