Monday, January 18, 2010

Where is Matt G?

I should have written this on Sat...oh well. Better late than never.

So it's Friday, Jan. 15th around 6:20 pm. I am at the Los Angeles Airport checking in, and I get a call on my cell. It's Matt. He's suppose to be getting on the 6:20 pm flight out of Burbank.

"Hey Matt," I said.

"Hey, Donna. I missed my flight. I'm going to get on your flight on standby, can you check if there are any open seats?" Asked Matt.

I almost tripped over my long pink scarf. If anyone's ever seen my backpack...they'd understand how top heavy it makes me.

I talked to the lady at the counter as soon as I could. She said that there were 24 seats available, but your friend has to put himself on the list in person, and he needs to do it by 8 pm because of the new security measures. Yikes, a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend...and Matt had only about an hour. I was thinking last year on our way to Nationals when we almost lost Cindy who was stuck in traffic and literally ran to the plane to make it in time. I prayed that Matt wouldn't miss his 2nd flight today and drive all the way to El Segundo for nothing. It normally takes about 30 min. without traffic to drive from Burbank to LAX on a great day. And on an awful day, it could take 2 hours. Luckily for Matt, Paul could take him down and they could take advantage of the carpool lane. With about 10 min. to go and 4 seats left, Matt makes it on the standby list, and he meets up with Cindy in the security check line. Paul must have had some really fancy driving.

We all get on the plane without any more delays. Actually in the end, we landed a half an hour ahead of schedule. That's my pre-playdown story that I wanted to share today.

-Domino

4 comments:

  1. It was remarkable how little traffic there was, actually. I would have made the same time by myself, but the key was to just get dropped off at the front. I was able to just walk up to the ticketing window and get on.

    Then, as I was talking to Donna on the phone, I saw Cindy in the middle of the security line and immediately ducked in. Sa-weet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt had to go and turn the weekend into a Hollywood action film by adding a high speed driving scene and a rush to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was pretending i had to stop jen from going to art school in parish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I wish I'd been there to start a slow clap at the gate!

    ReplyDelete