Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Twisted!

Yesterday, I started yoga up again for the first time since our last training preparations for Nationals with Marissa and Jennifer Gamboa (Spiker). Now, for all those who has never done yoga before, if you ever attend a session, you'd see a lot of butts pointed upwards, contorted bodies, chants and meditating, and an occasional flurry of feet kicking up into the air. It's not always a pretty sight, but the results, in my opinion, is amazing.

Nicole, our yoga instructor, kicked our butts and hardened our abs. Thank you and birdie to Chris Davis, another yoga member, who requested us to work on that area. Last year, I tried yoga out for the first time. I remembered how it really pushed expectations on how much a person can flex or stretch or pull or hold those positions. It helps that Nicole is our spot checker making sure we are engaging our muscles and pep talking us into believing the impossible. I think once in a while we need that in our lives. Well, this time around after such a long break, I was again reminded of how wonderful and twisted our minds and bodies can be. We started off the yoga routine sticking a tennis ball into the cave of my butt muscle. It was SORE. The more pain you feel, the more you you know you hit the sweet spot. There was grunting and groaning from everyone. Once we got rid of that ball from our behind, there was an instant wave of pure ecstasy. Now, stop those dirty thoughts, you sickos. You know what I mean. We did a similar pressure point to the sweet spot on our backs, and all the tension and knots from the work day and stress seemed to loosen up. I've had quite a bit of stress lately, and it was nice to get it all out.

At the end of the hour and 15 min. workout, I laid there sweaty, sore, and fatigued. I thought about how cold it was now that we weren't propelling ourselves against gravity. I thought about the upcoming challenges ahead with life, work, and curling. I thought about the chili that was stewing in a crock pot waiting for me at home. I could hear everyone's breathing, my own pulse pumping, and Nicole's voice lulling us into peace.

Namaste.

-Domino

No comments:

Post a Comment