Monday, January 24, 2011

Where Oh Where is Mankato?

The one thing unique about curling and curling competitively is that sometimes, you end up in places you've never heard of or would have never thought of visiting. In 2009, we traveled to Utica, NY (I've never been even been to New York, New York). In 2010, we competed in Madison, WI (Well, at least we have some relatives that are kind of close by.) This year, the 2011 Club Nationals will be hosted by the Mankato Curling Club in Mankato, MN. I can't say that it's been on my top 10 list of places to visit, but it looks like I'll be going there before I visit Japan or again New York City.



I've been keeping an eye on the daily weather forecast in Mankato. Last Thursday, it had a high of 0 degrees F and a low of -26 degrees F. Looks like this born and breed Hawaiian child is going to freeze her fancy kilt covered butt off. It is a small city located in the Southern part of Minnesota. Population is about 35,000. According to Wikipedia, there's a ton of Indian history associated with this city. And you've probably heard of Mankato from "Little House on the Prairie" which is where it was referred to as "the big town" where everyone journeys to for shopping. I don't think I'm going to do much shopping there. I just found out after talking to the woman trying to make hotel reservations that the sales tax is around 10.375%. That's even more than our crazy California tax at 9.75%, not by much though.

After visiting Utica which is pretty far North and Wisconsin which is generally in the same mid-west region, I think Mankato would be about the same, a bit chilly, flat spaces, cute houses, lots of trees. I'm hoping to hear some really cool, genuine "Minnesoota" accents. I think we're going to see a bunch of Vikings and Wilds fans. Maybe I should leave my Green Bay Packers and King's hockey colors at home. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of food is associated with this area. We ate a lot of pasta when we were in Utica and toured a brewery. Wisconsin seemed to have a lot of German influences. Plus, we found a mustard museum there. What adventures are we going to have this year?

So Mankato, The Bond Girls are getting ready for you. Are you going to be ready for us?

See YOU on the ice.

- Domino

No comments:

Post a Comment